quick pickled chiles (what i did last summer)

April 27, 2013

i have been meaning to roar about this for months, and while i know what i’m about to tell you might not come in handy this very moment (that is, unless you live far, far away from me and you actually do have an abundance of fresh grown chiles that you need to take care of right now) i’mma give it to you anywayz…

back sometime in august my chile bed exploded. eighteen or so plants dripping at once with teardrops and baubles in a myriad of greens, yellows and reds. there is only so much fresh eating and pan-frying of chiles one chile-head tigress and her chile-head husband can do. we had fire mouths for the entire month!  the red ones were hung and dried for winter cooking of course. but because our season is short many of my chiles never reach full ripeness.

not willing to let even one hard earned chile go to waste – and not too fond of throwing them in the freezer either (am i missing something – what are they good for?) this is what i did last summer:

pickled

i know, i know, when they’re pickled they’re not as pretty, but they are good!  try them in a grilled cheese sandwich, in scrambled eggs, or anywhere else your little chile-head heart desires.

…and if you, like me, are waiting once again to have an abundance of homegrown, or neighboring farmer grown chiles that you need to take care of, pin this – ’cause you’ll need it later.

• kaela says:

I do freeze a lot of chiles (and I mean, ahem, gallon bags full of ‘em!). The texture actually suffers less than when you pickle ‘em, IMO, but I generally use them in things where texture doesn’t matter anyway: chilis, soups, stews, currys & the like. But even in a salsa or citrusy salad, if you finely chop the long skinny ones (red or green) you won’t notice any difference in texture. I do find that the seeds & ribs are disappointingly soggy, so I tend to seed my frozen chiles while I’ll leave the fresh ones as is.

thanks kaela! i did freeze some last season but i think you may have explained the problem. i left the seeds and ribs in when i used them and they were soggy. not that i tried to eat them fresh or put them in a fresh salsa. i think the major mush just turned me off. maybe i will try seeding and ribbing some and then freezing.

• Ashley says:

Yum! I love pickled jalapeno or banana pepper slices. And our lone jalapeno plant last year went on a rampage too. I’ll have to make these this year! Thanks!

• val says:

This is the kind of thing that can make a meal–and so easy, too! In the humid mid Atlantic, air drying is a challenge, and I have resisted a dehydrator, so I manage one batch of oven drying and pickle and freeze the rest. For things like stews and sauces, I find freezing works okay, but I chop into pieces before freezing.

thanks val. i’m going to try chopping some for freezing this year, i think that’s where i went wrong – i tossed them in the deep freeze whole. yikes!

• Beate says:

Thanks for sharing. I bought a chili mix some weeks ago, mostly for their beauty, this was the perfect method to keep them and so easy. They are delicious on a goat cheese sandwich.

• Alicia says:

Mmm these look delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

• kaci says:

this. just what i needed! thank you.

• Dawn says:

Oh perfect. Thanks for the easy recipe. Great timing as my five jalapeno plants are teaming. Love your beautiful photos. Envious of your trug.

• Corrie Ward says:

Wonderful recipes and thank you. Trying peppers in vinegar so simple in the fridge. I shall try it today. I have eight plants,grow more than two toms this year.
    I am a horticulturist,and propagate a lot. I am amazed at this years massive selection with everything growing so abundantly.
    Thank you thank you.
    Can I put long green peppers in chutneys. Can’t find recipes?
    Corrie