it may not be june 21st yet, but summer was yelling loud around my digz this memorial day weekend. hot and sunny was the order, a much needed 3 days off of work and emails too. and although we had no guests and took no trips outta town, we did have a rip-roaring good time just puttering around the house, the garden and the kitchen.
this cake, moist with fully-fatted yogurt and delirious with mounds of warm rhubarb is a party for two, or a crowd.
rhubarb upside down cake
adapted from martha stewart living
- 1 & 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut 1/2 in thick on the diagonal
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water (or orange juice)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full fat yogurt
- butter to grease pan
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
9 inch deep cake pan, or tarte tatin pan, greased
- make the bottom crumble; toss together flour, sugar and salt. add melted butter and stir until well moistened and crumbly. set aside.
- toss rhubarb slices with 1/2 cup sugar. let sit for two minutes. meanwhile dot greased cake pan with 4 tablespoons butter. toss rhubarb slices again and add to cake pan. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. beat together remaining butter and sugar until fully blended and fluffy. beat in the eggs. add 1/2 of dry mixture and beat again. add 1/2 cup of yogurt and beat until blended. repeat with remaining flour mixture and yogurt. pour over rhubarb and spread evenly.
- spread crumble mixture over cake evenly. place in oven on middle rack and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester slid in center comes out clean.
- let cool for just 10 minutes and, using oven gloves, turn out onto a plate. don’t be discouraged if the rhubarb comes tumbling down the sides. mine always does and it tastes better that way.
eat in the kitchen, warm as is, or for an even bigger celebration top with a cool mound of vanilla ice cream.
summer, peeps, it’s here.