it’s about time i came on here and professed my food and blog related aspirations for 2012, no? (particularly because i realized i never even got around to doing it in 2011 – for shame!)
i for one, love new starts. when the new year comes i have loads of things i plan to do in the 12 months sprawled out and beckoning in front of me. below are the ones i think you might like to know about:
1) i have one very big new start coming soon; after a good full year has passed (yikes!) since i first roared about it here and over there i am this close to redesigning and relaunching these two blogs on one brand new website! i am so excited about it that it’s hard not to jump in and tell you all about it right now! but, alas, i’ll wait, because in just a few more weeks i’ll be able to show it to you!*
2) grow more beans! this was the first year i earnestly attempted to grow beans for drying. i did four varieties and cannot believe how easy they are to grow and shuck (is that the right word?). i love me my beans, and yes i know that rancho gordo has cornered the market in heirloom beans. but, it’s really, really fun to grow your own! and then you really do know how fresh they are.
3) have fun with it! all of it; growing, preserving, eating. it’s easy for me to be obsessive (have i mentioned that before?) about the things i get into. but gardening and preserving, and eating locally and seasonally doesn’t have to be another stress causing endeavor. let’s face it, for most of us in the modern world it’s a choice, not a necessity. so…
in 2012 i’m having fun with my food! i will grow and preserve as much as i can. but you know what? if i can’t do as much as i want to do (who me?) then that’s OK.
4) eat more whole grains. give me my bread, my cheese, and my cultured butter and i am as happy as a tigress in…(um, a jungle?) oh, and olive oil, too. basically, i can literally live on bread and fat. which i don’t think in and of themselves are bad things, mind you. but, i do love whole grains, and they are good for you. so this year i’m making an effort to eat more of them.
5) get back to baking bread. you peeps are going to think i’m crazy. i know you know an oxymoron when you see one. but – let me explain. about four years ago i decided that i was going to learn how to bake bread. that led me down a year and a half path of never buying bread (theme?). it was really fun, and i must admit, i turned some good bread out of my kitchen. then my oven broke and it took quite a few months to fix. nuff said. the bread baking flew out the window never to return.
until now – i’m bringin’ it back for 2012! and to prove it, i revived my little pet (photo above). this is the same wild yeast AKA sourdough that i started four years ago. he was tucked in the back of my fridge, starved nearly to death. but i took him out and lo, after just one feeding he got all bubbly and excited.
i can’t let this poor bugger down, i just have to make bread now! plus it’s a good way to eat more whole grains (ahem).
*it’s been so hard to refrain from telling you about all of the updates coming your way on the new site; the new look, the recipe index, the new categories – and lotz more amazing stuff. but, shhh! mum’s the word! for now.
HAPPY 2012! BRING IT ON!