there’s a general consensus between a group of my favorite jammers and i that if ever you come upon a stash of raspberries it’s not the most opportune time to get creative.
in other words, put the fancy aside and just jam dem bitches.
that said, there is one small thing i’ve found that results in big flavor. with this addition the raspberryness is not compromised, oh no. it is, in fact, blown-up to exotic proportions.
raspberry rose jam
2 & 3/4 pounds raspberries(organic if you can)
3 & 3/4 cups sugar
juice of one medium lemon
1 & 1/2 ounces rose water
1/2 pint or smaller canning jars
yield: approximately 3 pints
1. prepare your jars for hot water bath canning. no need to sterilize them as processing time is 10 minutes. place 3 small plates in the freezer for testing the set.
2. it is really best not to wash the raspberries, if yours are organic put them directly into your jamming pot. add sugar and lemon juice and heat on medium until sugar dissolves.
3. once sugar has completely dissolved turn up the heat and bring to the boil. boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. at 10 minutes take off heat, skim off any foam that has surfaced, and stir the rosewater in. bring back to the boil for one minute.
4. check the set by placing a teaspoonful on a frozen plate. place plate back in the freezer for one minute. run your finger through the jam, if it wrinkles even slightly under your finger the jam is set. if your finger makes a clean break, boil for one minute more. you may need to do this a couple of times.
5. fill jars and hot water bath process for 10 minutes.