ramp greens kimchi

May 16, 2011

perhaps you jumped on the spring rampage with me and pickled a whole lotta ramp bottoms a few days ago. which means you gotz a bunch (or two or three) of ramp greens sitting around waiting for you to fulfill their destiny.

to that i’m here to say, “have no fear, the mighty tigress is here!”

ahem.

this my friends, is an awesome idea that i cannot take credit for. the idea came from that wonderful new book tart and sweet that i roared a lot about a while back. (er, basically, get it!) the lovely authors of this book utilized the entire ramp, but being the resourceful cat that i am i thought it a perfect opportunity to use up all of those bottomless greens!

here’s my version:

you could however decide to take this whole thing even further and tuck a bit of this ramp kimchi into a few soft pillowy steamed buns. like i did this past weekend, in spite of the copious amounts of rhubarb i had to somehow tuck away for later.

those little ramp kimchi buns were out of this world delicious, and i am not sure if anyone believes me out there, but trust me it’s e-a-s-y.

do it!

• Two by the Sea says:

Alas, no ramps out here. What other green could one rampless, kimchi craving person use?

• CallieK says:

Two by the Sea- maybe garlic mustard? I think it grows everywhere.

• fromscratchclub says:

Have you been in my kitchen? How did you know that I had three bunches of ramp tops WAITING for your recipe- amazing. I can not wait to make this. It's on! -Christina

• Lisa Fine says:

This sounds incredible. I finally bought some ramps at the farmers' market last weekend, and have loads of tops that need to get used up.

Do you know if I can also just cook them up, like saute them with some spinach and asparagus?

• Anonymous says:

Tigress, please explain what ramps are. I'm unfamiliar with the term, but they look like young versions of bok choy or a relative. Thanks, Martha

two by the sea – I've never tried garlic mustard kimchi but I bet it could work! good suggestion calliek!

christina – do it!

lisa fine – yes you totally can. they are great sautéed. and I have one more recipe you might like. I hope to get it up tomorrow!

martha – they are other wise known as wild leeks. The grow all around the east and midwestern US. the best thing about them in my opinion is the greens. they taste fresh, grassy and mildly oniony at the same time. like a chive on steroids. :)

• Jen H says:

these are gorgeous! I have a slew of ramp greens in my fridge that I'm absolutely going to use some for this.

• julia f says:

I made this using kale in place of the ramp greens (no such thing down here in the South) – and ate some in a quesadilla for dinner last night – pretty awesome!

julia – love the idea of kale! :)

• Ämit Upadhyay says:

a very well post… May i kno that how you have maded your blog theme so that it is being previewable in the whole page…

• Sam says:

This sounds fantastic. Will this work if I cut back on the salt or is it the salt that preserves it? Low-sodium kimchi is hard to find.

sam – salt does contribute to the rate of fermentation and preserving in general for fermented products. that said, on this particular one, my *guess* is you could go a little lighter on the salt, but not too much.

• taryn says:

So. I made this with scallions that I have in abundance in my garden right now. Thinking that I had way more than a pound of scallions (and lacking a kitchen scale), I doubled everything else to compensate. Well, as soon as I mixed it all together and it started reducing, I knew I had misjudged. But I let it ferment anyway, and after a week I had very spicy, VERY salty fermented scallions. This being said, my original intention was to mix it with ground pork for potstickers, which I did (after chopping the scallions further). I added about a third of my scallions to a pound of pork, mixed well and formed and cooked all my dumplings. Let me tell you, it was PERFECT; just the right amount of heat, just the right amount of seasoning… so yummy. I will always keep this on hand for quick and awesome pork dumplings. (Dipped in a mixture of soy and hot chinese mustard… mmm). Thanks!

• tmgates says:

Thanks for the recipe.. I have about 10 lbs of ramps i have been trying to sell but have been unable to so, so bottles and bottles of pickled ramps and ramp kimchi seems like the way to go. The question I have is… I see you are only using the greens of the ramps. Which I do like this idea as most recipes I see use the whole ramp if they are still young ramps. But the greens you are using are you rubbing salt & sugar on them first, then draining out the liquid? I have never seen a kimchi recipe that doesn’t do this. Without doing this i don’t see how the ramps would absorb that amazing flavor of the kimchi mixture.

wow! 10 pounds of ramps that you can’t sell. i know so many people that are looking for ramps. ah well.

no, i do not rub the leaves and drain as in a traditional kimchi because ramp leaves are very delicate. tossing them with the other ingredients as in step on does the trick. do remember to shake or stir as it goes through the fermenting process to make sure all greens eventually get submerged and sufficiently fermented. i think you will like this!