apple marmalade with rosemary

November 9, 2010

at some point i opened my fridge last week and precisely 4 apples, 1 orange and 2 lemons sky-dove directly toward my toes and proceeded to spread themselves over the kitchen floor, like insurgents deftly finding their marks.

there were many more behind them waiting for their signal.

i really can’t tell you exactly how i ended up with a bottom shelf loaded with citrus and myriad of kinds of apples (not to mention the quince & cranberries) except for the fact that when i made the move back down to LIC for the winter i grabbed as many apples from local farmers as i could, and the citrus – well whenever i know i’m going to be preserving sweet i need to have them on hand. and there must have been a couple of trips to the co-op or farmstore where i forgot just how many i already had.

ever had that happen?

so this past saturday morning i knew my mission; i sweet-talked a bunch of them and brought them over to the other side.

• Aunt Bee's Garden says:

I have everything except oranges but plenty of lemons. Do you think it will still work?

• homegrowed says:

This recipe inspired a question – do you know of any good "fruit of the month" style citrus buying clubs for organic florida citrus? I figure, if I can't grow it locally, I may as well try to buy direct from someone doing it right. Unfortunately, all my googling only yields huge companies. I thought you (or one of your readers) might have a suggestion for someone willing to ship out of state. Thanks!

• Susan says:

@homegrowed….Hale in Florida is one that I have bought from before. Oranges are awesome but fruit is expensive. Google for website.

@tigress….this looks great except I would probably leave out the rosemary. I am not a fan of that herb. Lemon thyme might be a good substitute. Thanks. :)

aunt bee's garden – yes i do think you could do it with just lemon. it will taste differently but i think good!

homegrowed – i don't know of one, but readers if you do please let us know!

susan – thanks – and yes i do think that thyme would be a great substitute for the rosemary. i have done apple jelly with thyme before and the flavors go together quite well!

• Anna says:

I just HAD to have marmalade on sourdough toast after reading this post. I went out and got a loaf of rosemary sourdough and had it with butter and the zucchini basil marmalade. YUM. Thanks for the snack inspiration :)

• Susan says:

tigress…what is the brand of jar you used here. I like the shape. ;)

anna – sounds delicious!

susan- they are vintage kerr 1/2 pint jars that i purchased off ebay. cute, right?

• Anonymous says:

Hi – Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I made the marmalade yesterday; as I wanted to use some of the apples from the garden. I searched for a recipe with Rosemary and Apple as it's such a lovely combination. When I found yours – it was perfect as I had run out of Marmalade (which we all adore). So now I am the proud owner of 5 pretty jars. Last year we stored the abundance of apples in our shed and the mice got to them. So this year I wanted to preserve them in other ways. First time I made marmalade and I think I'm addicted!. Thank you so much. – Love from Kent, Garden of England x

• Tammy B. says:

I'd have to sub something for the oranges, I can't eat 'em. Maybe lime???

• Amaliarose says:

Woo Hoo!
    Brooklyn Kitchen now has Weck jars in their store!

• Dawn says:

Thanks for your inspiration! I made both the marmalade and the sweet tomato ketchup over the weekend. Even the kids like it! I LOVE your site. It is so easy on the eyes, well written and your photos and kitchen look so professional. You are my #1 canning guru.

anonymous from kent – you are so welcome! :)

tammy – for apples my first thought would be to use all lemon. but if you already went with lime, how did it work?

amaliarose – thanks for the info! what is the price?

dawn – well thank you! *blush*

• Amaliarose says:

I'm sorry to say I did not retain the price of the Weck Jars at Brooklyn Kitchen as I was in a bit of a hurry that day and I didn't need to buy any, as I had just stocked up elsewhere on Ball jars for Xmas jams…

They weren't listed on their website, so next time I go back will verify and report.

Their canning section is upstairs and their new-ish location (which is almost under the BQE) is easy for me to get to from Astoria by car and parking is easier than average for Brooklyn.

• sharon says:

This marmalade was excellent, I even gave away a jar as a hostess gift. I did change the recipe slightly, to use what I had on hand. This is the first time I've canned and I'm thrilled it worked out so well. Thank you.

• Hope says:

Just made this marmalade. I like the taste. It turned out rather a citrus-marmalade than an apple-marmalade though. That is fine with me as I like orange-marmalade – just didn't expect it. Also it did not get thick enough so I helped out with some starch which worked finely.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Greetings from Germany.
    *Katharina

• Katie Marquez says:

Just made this and I way over cooked it. Its more of a quince paste texture than apple butter (oops :-) ) but man alive is it delicious. I used lemon only and am excited to try it with orange next.