rajisthani kumquat pickle

February 16, 2010

ever notice how koons-like kumquats are?

or is it just me?

look,

i’m up here in the berkshires for the week…i’m happier than a pig in

snow (about it).

and i have a date with a couple of bunches of carrots i need to tell you all about in the next few days for the great can jam of 2010. that said,

i’ve been waiting to get my paws on some organic kumquats since this year’s citrus season began, and this is why:

and dare i say with your paws straight from the jar

…like me. :)

• Kate says:

Your 'toothsome' skins stole my heart. Enjoy the mountains, devoid of ashen half-melt, re-iced slush!

• Julia says:

Or how kumquat-like Koons' art work is? Those look gorgeously delicious! 1/4 cup of cayenne seems incredibly surprising. Glad you said it was okay. And as Kate says, enjoy the pristine lull!

• Damon says:

Yum! Now this is going to have to happen! I love asafetida. Can't really say why, but that horrificly smelling stuff kinda grows on you huh?…great job, thanks!

• Tara says:

I am not a huge citrus eater, but your many posts on the fermented fruits enticed me. I made a much smaller amount than your recipe and I was surprised how much the citrus flavor was replaced by saltyness. (not bad, just unexpected) I now have a small jar in my fridge and I am not sure what to do with them. I do like different kinds of curry but it seems like the pickle would be a major contrast…..How do you use them other than eating out of the fridge? :) Thanks!

tara – so glad you tried these! yes they are quite potent and salty. traditionally in india they are eaten by the very small portion with a meal. a curry that would match in flavor, or wrapped in a flatbread or with bites of plain rice in between bites of curry or other sauced main dishes. if you are new to these types of flavors they may take some getting used to, but once you're in, you're in! :)

• Tara says:

Thanks! I will have to try the lemons sometime too. :)

• Tricia says:

Just made another batch of this out-standing recipe!
    Keep it wicked Tigress!

• Ambica says:

I just made a batch of this fantastic recipe. And a batch of your salt and pepper kumquats too. Thanks for sharing. Now if I can only convince my s-i-l to ship me organic kumquats from her tree every year:)